Choose Well

Feeling Unwell ? – Choose Well

There are a range of NHS services on your doorstep. Make sure you choose the right service and get the right treatment.

Local Pharmacy

Visit your local pharmacy when you are suffering from a common health problem which does not require a nurse or a doctor i.e diarrhoea, runny nose, painful cough or headache.

Sheffield City GP Health Centre

Rockingham House, Broad Lane, Sheffield, S1 3PB (Please use S1 4BT with your sat nav)

Telephone: 0114 241 2700

Open 8.00 am – 10.00 pm, seven days a week, 365 days a year

Walk-in as an unregistered patient and see a GP or a nurse without an appointment or make an appointment with a GP or a nurse as an unregistered patient.

Minor Injuries

For adult Minor Injuries such as sprains, cuts and grazes, please go to the Minor Injuries Unit, B Floor, Royal Hallamshire Hospital, Glossop Road, Sheffield, S10 2JF Telephone: 0114 2265781

They are open 8.00am to 8.00pm every day of the year.

A&E or 999

Emergency services are very busy. They should only be used in very serious or life threatening situations.

When Is It An Emergency?

When it comes to your health or the health of someone in your family, it is often very obvious if the person is seriously ill and needs urgent care. You should seek medical attention by either taking the casualty to A & E or by phoning 999 for an emergency ambulance.

If the emergency is a critical or life-threatening situation like the following examples and in any of these instances, you should seek urgent medical attention by dialling 999:

  • Suspected heart attack
  • Chest pain
  • Unconsciousness
  • Severe breathing difficulties
  • Head injury
  • Stroke symptoms (slurring of speech, unstable on feet)

Remember to remain calm, do everything you can to help the person, but don't put yourself in danger and don't give the person anything to eat, drink or smoke.

People with signs of a heart attack, which might include crushing central chest pain often accompanied by shortness of breath, sweating and vomiting, need urgent medical help and an ambulance should be called immediately by dialling 999.

For conditions like heavy blood loss, suspected broken bones, deep wounds such as stab wounds, foreign body in eyes or ears, which are not as life-threatening and where the patient can travel, they can be taken to the nearest A & E.